[aprssig] advice on purchesing GPS for use with D-710

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 18:09:27 EDT 2011

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 2:08 PM, Kent Hufford <khufford at atlanticbb.net> wrote:
> I you want to "show" anything then you are limited to just about a AVMAP G6,
> GARMIN 350, or a laptop/net book with a mapping program.

Not quite.

If you want the maximum amount of APRS data displayed, your answer is correct.

But _any_ GPS capable of plotting standard NMEA waypoints (or, IIRC,
Magellan style waypoints) over a standard NMEA serial interface will
plot simple waypoints with callsigns on the GPS, assuming the D710 (or
700, ro D7, or I suspect the D72) is correctly connected and
configured.

The old serial eTrex units will show waypoints from the radio.  My
first generation Garmin MAP60C works fine as well, as do many others.

-Jason
kg4wsv