[aprssig] Android Tablets

Gregg Wonderly gregg at wonderly.org
Tue Aug 23 13:56:13 EDT 2011

On 8/23/2011 11:06 AM, Kevin Sherwood wrote:
> Has anyone considered anything like this for portable APRS:
>
> http://www.tradestead.com/wholesale-android-2-2-7-inch-touch-screen-tablet-pc-pda-mid-wide-camera_p12982.html
>
> 7" screen, 800 mhz processor, 256 mb ram, wifi, limited camera.
>
> Actually maybe not that one, I don't see a microphone jack, but there are other cheap ones out there.
>
> Imagine the possibilities though - add a bluetooth serial interface to your APRS-ready rig, or
 > use the audio jacks and a sound modem.  Mapping, messaging, on screen
keyboard or Bluetooth keyboard.
 > Heck the camera's low res is optimized for the small size picutre messages
that were discussed recently.

I really think that "bluetooth" serial or "direct audio connections" create a
lot of limitations on what is achievable.  Look at the WiSnap or other "WiFi"
interfaced serial port devices.  If you focus on that style interface, then
interacting with that device vs an i-Gate is nearly zero.  This means that you
can decide when you are "on the air".  If you carry around a small access point
for use in your vehicle, you can even take you APRS device out of your vehicle
and use it remotely.

This is the model of design that I've used on my APRSNow application for the
iPad.  I still don't have a WiSnap connected to mine, but as soon as my current
financial situation improves, I will probably put a MacMini in the car and use
it's WiFi to connect through to a USB-Serial dongle served by a JavAPRSsrv
instance which will also have my Verizon USB Cellular modem attached when I need
a full internet connection.  That will let me park near a support event, get out
with my iPad, and do APRS and access the internet both.

Gregg Wonderly
W5GGW