[aprssig] Mac Lion APRS iGate software?

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Fri Aug 12 01:16:49 EDT 2011

On 8/11/2011 11:27 PM, Larry LaBranche wrote:
> Is there a good, easy to install and use Mac APRS igate/digi software for Lion. I find myself getting tired of playing with computers anymore. There is a good Mac client that can be installed easily from the app store called PocketPacket. I've tried Xastir but the maps seem to just crawl and don't see iGating.

Xastir maps leave a lot to be desired, but it DOES igate/digi decently.     AS
far as I know, there is no truly-native Mackintosh  APRS client except for the
decades-out-of-date MacAPRS that was compiled for classic pre-System X Macs.
Further, MacAPRS suffers from lack of any remotely current maps.

Of course, you could always run a virtual machine loaded with Win98 or 2000
running Uiview or APRSICE on the Mac desktop.   [Win98 and Win 2000 need only a
fraction of the RAM and hard disk space required by WinXP, Vista or Win7.
UIview works just fine on these older versions of Windows.]
.

> KI6ZQY

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
=== Now relocated from Pasadena, CA back to 8-land (East Lansing, MI) ===
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

=====  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping =====
     http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/UIview_Notes.htm#VistaWin7