[aprssig] [aprs-sig] Setting up a basic weather station

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Aug 8 16:14:47 EDT 2011

On 8/8/2011 3:26 PM, Alexander Sack wrote:
> Folks:
>
> I am thinking of setting up a weather station at community co-op as a
> service to the gardeners.  I want to relay the weather information to
> my home base and then broadcast it on the web.
>
> I was thinking of doing the data collection via RF.  Problem, I am not
> going to keep a D710A or other substance at the garden.  Is there a
> cheaper way to do this?  I have no problem setting up an antenna and
> we do have a shed with a lock on it.  Is there a cheap way to relay WX
> objects via APRS (RF)?
>
> Looking for some ideas,

If you are going to do this via APRS, you will obviously need a weather
station, a radio and a TNC of some sort.

Probably the cheapest way would be to pick up an old junker-clunker
crystal-controlled two-meter rig at a hamfest or swapmeet, crystal it's TX for
144.39,  and combine it with a Byonics WXtrak.   The WXtrak   ($33 kit or $42
assembled with case)  is a specialized transmit-only TNC designed solely to
connect to certain weather stations.  You plug the WX station into the WXtrack
serial port, and connect the TX audio and PTT at the other end of the device to
your radio's mic jack or data port.  WXtrack supports a limited variety of
weather stations. Check the list of supported WX stations before buying one.
Details here:

. <http://byonics.com/wxtrak/>

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
=== Now relocated from Pasadena, CA back to 8-land (East Lansing, MI) ===
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

=====  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping =====
     http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/UIview_Notes.htm#VistaWin7