[aprssig] SHUTTLE Launch info via ANSRVR

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Wed Apr 27 22:56:33 EDT 2011

Greetings fellow APRS users,

If all goes well, I'll be on the ground in Titusville FL at the Space
View Park (http://aprs.fi/?call=SPACVWPRK) from tomorrow evening through
the Shuttle Endeavor launch window from 3:47pm through 3:57pm
(19:47-19:57z) on Friday 4/29/2011
(http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/main/index.html).  A local
repeater operator phone patches into a live NASA audio feed so that the
local amateur operators can be up-to-the-minute informed of any
situations that may develop.

I'm planning to provide updates via APRS messages relayed through the
new ANSRVR group called SHUTTLE.  To join this group, simply send an
APRS message containing the text "CQ SHUTTLE <text>" (without the
quotes) where <text> is an optional text that will be sent to all
current members of the group.  For the next 12 hours, any other messages
sent to the SHUTTLE group via ANSRVR will be forwarded on to the station
that you used to join the group.  Of course, if you join more than 12
hours before launch time, you'll have to re-CQ to refresh your membership.

Provided I'm packing enough power, you can track me and send APRS
messages via KJ4ERJ-12, my nearly-always-on APRSISCE instance.

PS.  ANSRVR works similar to CQSRVR from a command perspective with the
following exceptions:  1) You can CQ a group without text to silently
join and/or monitor a group.  2) You can send message to the group via
ANSRVR more frequently than allowed by CQSRVR.  This latter feature
makes ANSRVR uniquely suited for sending ANnouncements out to a group of
interested listeners.

PPS.  For APRSISCE/32 users, simply use Messages / Announcements / Join
Group and enter SHUTTLE.  You probably want to check Keep Active to
allow APRSISCE/32 to generate automatic CQs to the group at the
configured interval (default 8 hours).  If you check Quietly, then the
automatic CQs will not contain the CQ Text which would then only be sent
if you explicitly click the "Send" button (which obviously I will be
doing to send updates out to the group).