[aprssig] APRS Messages and Operating Codes (Q & Z)

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Apr 25 15:08:37 EDT 2011

On 4/25/2011 11:54 AM, Bob Bruninga wrote:
>>> So do all the APRS radios.
>> The APRS radios are in the minority.
> Not really.  Even back in 2004, 38% of all APRS operators had a Kenwood D7
> or D700 APRS radio.  This represented 57% of all mobiles and more
> importantly, it represented almost 85% of all stations that are mobile with
> APRS send/receive capability.  I would imagine now with 8 full function APRS
> radios on the market, these percentages are higher.

And (at least around here in Southern Cal) the vast majority are being used as
TX-only trackers; i.e. as a all-in-one appliance alternative to kludging
together a TinyTrack and non-APRS radio.     Witness the success of Allen's VHS
all-in-one tracker devices that go even farther in combining the GPS, TinyTrack
and radio into a single box.

In over a decade of mobile operating with a FULLY message-capable APRS setup
(i.e. mobile laptop attached to D700), I have had exactly five message
exchanges and all but one of those was with a fixed station.   I actually built
one of John Hansen's D700 keyboard adapters and combined it with a
small-footprint PC keyboard in my D700 mobile setup (hoping to operate
independently of the PC), but never found anyone able or willing to exchange
messages on two meters.

[I've had far more message exchanges on 30M meters PSK63 APRS via the sound
card APRS Messenger app (on the mobile PC) in one year, than in all the decades
on two meters combined.]

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net