[aprssig] APRS Messages and Operating Codes (Q & Z)

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Apr 25 14:54:47 EDT 2011

On 4/25/2011 8:25 AM, Bob Bruninga wrote:
>>> Once again:
>>> CELL PHONES HAVE VISUAL FEEDBACK  ON THE DISPLAY.
>>> CELLPHONES BUFFER KEYPRESSES THAT ARE EDITABLE  BEFORE  SEND.
>> So do all the APRS radios.

> The APRS radios are in the minority.

Not really.  Even back in 2004, 38% of all APRS operators had a Kenwood D7
or D700 APRS radio.  This represented 57% of all mobiles and more
importantly, it represented almost 85% of all stations that are mobile with
APRS send/receive capability.  I would imagine now with 8 full function APRS
radios on the market, these percentages are higher.

> For years, you have been hyping APRS-TT , etc
> as a way for non-APRS-equipped radios to send
> messages into the APRS network.

Not really.  I have been hyping APRStt as a means for anyone with a DTMF
radio to participate in the APRS network.  Usually for Status and Position
reporting and for querying the network about others.  The APRStt DTMF
protocol does provide for rudnamentary messaging, but it does not make sense
to use it for a lot of alphabetic texting.

We use the DTMF texting when the particular EVENT information is conducive
to numeric info.  Such as troop numbers and scores from numbered
checkpoints.  Such as 13 995 95 which means that station 13 is reporting
troop 995 got a score of 95 at this location.  Its even shorter than a
phone number....

Although we demonstrated such DTMF texting a few years ago, since then, at
this local event we do every year, 100% of the operators now show up with
some kind of full function messaging APRS radio, that we have not used the
DTMF as much as it couild be  used.

I still do lament that so few people with these APRS radios actually use
them for texting...

Bob, WB4APR