[aprssig] APRS Messages and Operating Codes (Q & Z)

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 25 13:07:30 EDT 2011

While you can edit on the APRS radios, you must admit that the Man Machine Interface (MMI) is much simpler and more awkward than the smart phones.

The other end, and more difficult part, of the problem is of "encoding" the Q/Z signals.  Decoding them is a look up.  You are alerted to the fact that you have to decode one because you got one - you "see" the Qxxx or Zxxx.

To encode one in the first place, you need to know that one exists for your given situation.  The knowledge of this has a "half life" and even with exercises you'll be pafing theough the spec to see if there's a code for "I've fallen and I can't get up."  (ZUH)
.

In the service it is just like with hams.  We used some all the time and those are the ones we remember.
The only one I remember even using in Navy was ZUJ and we even used that on teletype. (but I was maintenance, not operations.  They probably used more of 'em)

--
 73, Steve, K9DCI   USN (Vet) MOT (Ret) Ham (Yet)