[aprssig] APRS Messages and Operating Codes (Q & Z)

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Apr 25 11:25:21 EDT 2011

>> ...The problem is getting old fuds to consider
>> using a keypad to do text messaging.  Kids eat
>> it up and have no problem with it.

> Once again:
> CELL PHONES HAVE VISUAL FEEDBACK  ON THE DISPLAY.
> CELLPHONES BUFFER KEYPRESSES THAT ARE EDITABLE  BEFORE  SEND.

So do all the APRS radios.

>> But many of our best old fud volunteer hams just
>> can't get over the hump of using their
>> fingers to communicate... (on a keypad)...

> On cellphones, you can SEE the results of dozens
> or hundreds of keypresses in the display and backspace
> if needed to correct them,   before you hit send.

You can do that too in all APRS radio keypads.  The ABCD keys are the
editing keys that can go forward, back, delete and send.  Also the joystick
on the D7 and D72 can also be used for editing back and forth.

> Composing messages in the blind via huge numbers of
> keypresses on crummy rubbery keypads with no tactile
> or visual feedback is just absurdly impractical.

The misinformed complaints above are part of the problem.  They poison the
proper use of APRS for anything other than dumb tracking.  Texting via the
EIGHT models of APRS radios is pretty easy if one just tries it.

Bob, Wb4APR