[aprssig] APRS Messages and Operating Codes (Q & Z)

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Apr 25 10:45:47 EDT 2011

On 4/25/2011 6:55 AM, Bob Bruninga wrote:

> You betcha.  The problem is getting old fuds to consider using a keypad to
> do text messaging.  Kids eat it up and have no problem with it.

Once again:

o     CELL PHONES HAVE VISUAL FEEDBACK  ON THE DISPLAY.

o     CELLPHONES BUFFER KEYPRESSES THAT ARE EDITABLE  BEFORE  SEND.

> But many of
> our best old fud volunteer hams just can't get over the hump of using their
> fingers to communicate... (on a keypad)...

On cellphones, you can SEE the results of dozens or hundreds of keypresses in
the display and backspace if needed to correct them,   before you hit send.

Composing messages in the blind via huge numbers of keypresses on crummy
rubbery keypads with no tactile or visual feedback is just absurdly
impractical. I.e. did I just push the 5 (JKL) key four times, or was it five
times to rotate through 5-j-k-l-J-K-L trying to enter an upper case "K", when I
can't SEE the results?

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net