[aprssig] APRSdroid 1.0 has been released

Garrett Sloan Garrett at datplace.com
Mon Apr 18 17:16:13 EDT 2011

They're quite similar at the moment, with the already mentioned differences:

APRSDroid runs in the background which is nice where U2APRS Doesn't.

APRSDroid does currently lack the messaging ability found in U2APRS which
also has text to speech and now as of 5.2 apparently speech to text for
messages, haven't tried it much yet though, in my playing you still need to
type the destination in first. (and android doesn't like phonetics).

Other than that the differences seem "minor", U2APRS also has a "aprs.fi"
tab that opens up the current feed which is nice to see if your actually
getting "out", It also has some different adjustments and user parameters
when it comes to position ambiguity and smart beaconing (U2APRS has a
selection for degree's rotation while APRSDroid appears to be based on
distance).

I'm not sure where your not seeing a similar setup for GPS on demand in
APRSDroid, under GPS precision there are options for low/med/high (always
on) and the nice selection to be able to use the cell network location as
well when GPS coverage isn't that good.

I'm still flipping back and forth between the two, I prefer APRSDroid most
the time, if I need to send a message to test or play I'll flip over to
U2APRS for a little while, but  the voice to text and text to voice
messaging really doesn't interest me that much, the vehicle is usually too
loud to make use of or understand what its saying generally, and I don't
like to be one of those people yelling at their phones trying to get it to
understand what I'm actually saying lol.

I am looking forward to the ability to decode packets from the microphone,
sounds like something fun to play with!

With the Bluetooth TNC support I hope that means support for standard serial
Bluetooth devices, I've got a couple of serial/Bluetooth adapters in the
truck on my OT2m and T2-301 that I use to tie them to my laptop.

Garrett

VE6RKY