[aprssig] Bogus Voice Alert was Re: Connecticut Trip report

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 21:03:20 EDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 12:02, Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:

> You think that's annoying --- imagine my surprise while staying in Fort Collins,
> Colorado when I found that nearly every station was running Voice Alert.  Or
> at least it appeared that way until I realized that most of them were really
> far away and couldn't possibly be in simplex range.  In fact all that VA noise
> was because the nearest digipeater has 100Hz PL on transmit...

I have just investigated this. I don't notice any local digipeaters
transmitting a 100Hz tone. However, W0UPS-5 transmits an 88.5Hz tone.
It's possible this has been changed recently to avoid conflicts with
voice alert.

After some more listening, I hear N7GN-5 with a 100Hz tone. N7GN-5 is
a weather station. I tried calling him and he didn't reply. I think
it's safe to say there is no operator present.

Tom KD7LXL - recently relocated to Fort Collins, CO