[aprssig] Bogus Voice Alert was Re: Connecticut Trip report

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Apr 12 22:02:51 EDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 07:03:20PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <esarfl at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 12:02, Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:
> >
> > You think that's annoying --- imagine my surprise while staying in Fort Collins,
> > Colorado when I found that nearly every station was running Voice Alert. ??Or
> > at least it appeared that way until I realized that most of them were really
> > far away and couldn't possibly be in simplex range. ??In fact all that VA noise
> > was because the nearest digipeater has 100Hz PL on transmit...
>
> I have just investigated this. I don't notice any local digipeaters
> transmitting a 100Hz tone. However, W0UPS-5 transmits an 88.5Hz tone.
> It's possible this has been changed recently to avoid conflicts with
> voice alert.

Maybe.  W0UPS-5 sounds familiar.

Last time I was in Fort Collins, it was in a vehicle with no radio.  It's
been some time since I heard it last (possibly last summer).  Could be that
someone contacted them since my last visit and got it changed.

 "The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."