[aprssig] (no subject)

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Apr 10 12:41:42 EDT 2011

On 4/10/2011 9:15 AM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
> Zamri 9W2ZBV wrote...
>
>> B2-7, Pangsapuri Vista Sending, Taman Bukit Serdang, 43300 Seri Kembangan,
>> Selangor, Malaysia.
>
> Welcome to the group Zamri. We received your message, but it was
> empty except for your signature. I see that you have already used APRS.
>
> http://aprs.fi/?call=9W2ZBV <<<     no results!
> http://aprs.fi/?call=9W2ZBV-9
> http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=9W2ZBV-9&limit=25
>
> 2011-04-10 01:05:20 UTC:
> 9W2ZBV-9>P3PRR9,9W2LL-3*,WIDE2-1,qAR,9M2CJ
> :`mE at l o>/]"4v}145.675MHz=
>
> I didn't recognize the "destination" P3PRR9. What device are you using
> in your vehicle for APRS?

It's a Mic-E transmission which packs the latitude value of the posit into a
"fake" destination "call". .    Note how the "destination" is varying as he
moves around.   Since Malaysia is practically on the equator, the Mic-E
"destination" value will be sharply different from what we see from Kenwoods
and TinyTracks in our latitudes in the US, Canada and Europe.

The Mic-E format is used by Kenwood radios.  There is a very high chance these
posits are being generated by a Kenwood, since these radios are actually
manufactured in Malaysia.   .

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net