[aprssig] Station Capabilities Packet format?

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Thu Apr 7 18:10:41 EDT 2011

This is in the aprs101.pdf spec. From Chapter 15:

> A station may define a set of one or more attributes of the station,
> known as
> Station Capabilities. The station transmits its capabilities in
> response to an
> IGATE query (see below), using the < Data Type Identifier.
> Each capability is a TOKEN or a TOKEN=VALUE pair. More than one
> capability may be on a line, with each capability separated by a comma.
> Currently defined capabilities include:
> IGATE,MSG_CNT=n,LOC_CNT=n
> where IGATE defines the station as an IGate, MSG_CNT is the number of
> messages transmitted, and LOC_CNT is the number of “local” stations (those
> to which the IGate will pass messages in the local RF network).

In APRSISCE/32, I use the "TOKEN=VALUE" pair and extend it to include
not only LOC_CNT (local station count) but also RF_CNT (count of all
stations heard on RF) and DIR_CNT (Direct, no path components marked
used). To me, the definition of "local" means the count of those
stations considered recently local for the purposes of -IS to RF gating
of messages, a station heard on RF with few enough used path components
(hops) and within some minimum time).

 > is a Status packet, not a Capabilities. It is defined in Chapter 16 -
Status Reports as:

> A Status Report announces the station’s current mission or any other
> single
> line status to everyone. The report is contained in the AX.25 Information
> field, and starts with the > APRS Data Type Identifier.

I don't see anything about IGates mentioned in the Status Report
chapter. These to me are two different things, Status (>) and
Capabilities (<) where status is free-form text and Capabilities is a
comma-separated list of TOKENs or TOKEN=value pairs, hardly free-form.