[aprssig] vx-8 mic-e type code & ui-view32

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Tue Apr 5 01:41:52 EDT 2011

Hi,

It's quite likely that this has been discussed before, but I'm not
sure.

UI-View32 strips spaces from the end of a packet before passing it to the
APRS-IS. VX-8 sends mic-e packets with a space in the end, thanks to the
mic-e type code allocation of "`......_b" (b = SPACE). When the packet is
heard by an UI-View32 and another igate which isn't broken, APRS-IS gets
two different packets, and doesn't filter the duplicate. For example,
see this: http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=KB3TBX-7&limit=50&view=hex

There are often two packets, just 1 second apart, the only difference
being the trailing space in the other packet.

Bob: Would it be possible to allocate a new type code for the VX-8 and
request Yaesu to use it in the following software upgrades, if there are
any?

Would it be possible to add a note in
http://www.aprs.org/aprs12/mic-e-types.txt that there should be no more
new type code allocations made with a space in the end, as it causes a lot
of duplicate rubbish packets on the APRS-IS?

Also, it should be noted in the document that the "`....._ " is actually
received on the APRS-IS as "`...._" if an UI-View32 is involved, which
needs to be handled when parsing.

   - Hessu