[aprssig] FS: HH2 Semi-kit $30 ea

Jason Rausch jason at ke4nyv.com
Mon Apr 4 15:17:09 EDT 2011

Just to add on to Rich's post:

These PCB's are from the "mini-kit" era.  They are 100% compatible with the latest KISS firmware.  If the PIC18F252's shown have never been upgraded, they will need to be flashed with the latest firmware either via the bootloader or can be fresh flashed with a PIC programmer.  Anyone who purchases one, if you need the PIC to be flashed, I will gladly re-flash it for free with the latest firmware.  Just cover the round-trip shipping.

The entire HamHUD platform is still valid and the kit is not hard to build.  There are a few mistakes on this board that the builder should be aware of, but by no means should scare anyone away from building one:

1. The LCD backlight lines are swapped (as Rich mentioned).  There should be a small section of wire wrap wire taped to the PCB, for the builder to make this fix.

2. The LCD mounting holes are not aligned correctly.  Two are just about on and the others are a few mm's off.  You can actually still use them by angling the mounting screws.

Being a 10+ year HamHUD user, I still think it's one of the best mobile display options available.  The project is not dead and we still have a very large user group at:

Having said all of that $30 is a hell of a deal to get a HamHUD started!  Not much more is needed to get one built up and running.  With the KISS firmware, that means everything from a KPC-3, AEA, Tracker2, TinyTrak4 or even an OpenTracker 1+ flashed with KISS firmware will work as a packet modem.  Plenty of cheap options!

Jason Rausch - KE4NYV
RPC Electronics, LLC
www.rpc-electronics.com