[aprssig] Curious about bogus packets on Findu

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 30 15:23:40 EDT 2010

--- Keith VE7GDH wrote:

> Steve K9DCI wrote...
>
> > Noticed some error lat long locations on Findu's Long
> term tracking.

> from findu.com...
>
> 20100929191639,
> K9DCI-9>APK101,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,N9XTN :'|2y"4K>/]"7w}...
>
> from aprs.fi...
> 2010-09-29 19:16:39 UTC:
> K9DCI-9>APK101,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,N9XTN :'|2y"4K>/]"7w}...
> They are the same packet. It would appear that findu.com used
> the data and aprs.fi tagged it as having a problem.

OK.  so with what little I do know those packets are indeed a clue.

Yes, It is a D700.  With the TOCALL in the first part of the Mic-E you'd wonder how it gave a close position since all the latitude info is missing...
For the heck of it...Inserting APK101 into my *very* crude (a past experiment at Mic-E decoding) Excel Mic-E Magic Decoder ring...(;-) APK101 gives me a South Latitude of 0.0 Deg (AP), 101.01 Min (K101), an East longitude, and Custom-0, so it's not that simple...

> Is there any setting in it to tell
> it to only use valid positions from the GPS receiver?

When in the mode I have it, it doesn't beacon when there is no GPS data.  If it defaults to anything it should be my home position I have programmed-in manually.

> Also, there were some "high speed" beacons showing on aprs.fi.

I'll try to look later.  I need more time learning APRS.fi.
It's a Garmin GPS-V and I've not seen this before, but you never know.

> 2010-09-29 18:49:12 UTC:
> K9DCI-9>PP4Y2R,LARC,WIDE2*,qAR,NU0C-15 :'|R !Rv>/]"8:}...
> fast (>500 km/h)]

Ahhh!  That's clearly a Mic-E Latitude field data error.  Didn't spot that one. I only scanned the whole raw listing.

> PS - ...However, sending "Delayed 45 minutes" with every beacon makes it 18 characters longer than it needed to be.

This is an artifact of traveling and being in too much of a hurry to change things properly.  That was from the inbound leg of the trip and info for the Denver son watching on Findu.

> Ummm... were you using a one minute beacon rate? ...Of course,
> you could alter the beacon rate based on where you were operating.

Thanks Keith.  I've been following this forum since I got the radio in 2000 and I know, but this is more of not taking the time to plod through the menus when starting a leg of the trip.  My 'traveling companion' just wants to get going and changing menu items is not a priority. (;-)  Variable rates would be nice, but it's a D700.

Now that I have USB-Serial capability with the newer computer, I have been thinking about doing mods to my radio-control Spreadsheet to add simpler menu changes for things like this.  For some time, I've also had it in the back of my mind to add email formatting capability for the D700 using this spredsheet, and have started looking into setting up a WinLink account for this.

So many project ideas, so little time....

Now, I've got an old friend wanting me to get involved with a NASA nano-satellite X-Prize entry...

73, Steve, K9DCI