[aprssig] WSPR for HF mobile?

Jon K Hellan hellan at acm.org
Wed Sep 29 09:28:32 EDT 2010

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
> I may be wrong, but IIRC when I played with WSPR monitoring a few months
> ago you must have an rock solid accurate time signal. This could be
> quite a challenge for the ultra-mobile traveler.  I'm thinking it was
> sub-second synchronization to standard was required.

A timing grade GPS, e.g. a Garmin GPS 18 with serial port, is $ 82 on ebay. Its pulse per second output will
have nanosecond precision (if you have a good view of the sky, leave it stationary and account for cable lengths).
Preserving that precision in your own electronics can be a challenge. A general purpose PC running Linux or BSD
can be disciplined to better than 10 microseconds, specialized hardware will do a lot better. A USB GPS will do
much worse.

A HF setup is so bulky that time synch won't be a showstopper.

Jon LA4RT, Trondheim, Norway