[aprssig] APRS iGate questions

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sun Sep 5 17:49:35 EDT 2010

Reuben M0RXW wrote...

No, it is the asterisk...

2010-09-04 16:55:37 UTC:
M0NAS-9>UQ5VU2,WIDE1-1*,WIDE3-1,qAR,M0RXW-B:`vD at mK3>/"4S}Neil mobile

Unfortunately, the digi didn't do callsign substitution, so you don't know
which digi was involved. Strange to have WIDE3-1 instead of WIDE2-1
for a second hop, but it should work unless digis in the vicinity
"trap" WIDE3-N" paths.

2010-09-05 11:01:46 UTC:
M0NAS-9>UQ5WU9,ERDIGI-1*,WIDE3-3,qAR,G0DEC:`v?wo]o>/"4W}Neil mobile

In the above, ERDIGI-1 was the digi. The asterisk indicates that the
path had been used. The path was presumably WIDE1-1,WIDE3-3. The
three hop WIDE3-3 may or may not have been acted upon, but it wasn't
used in getting from ERDIGI-1 to G0DEC which was the IGate.

2010-09-05 12:13:54 UTC:
M0NAS-9>UR0RW5,M3OIL-9,ERDIGI-1*,qAR,G0DEC:`v@>l#E>/"4g}Neil mobile

M3OIL-9 presumably responded to WIDE1-1. ERDIGI-1 was the
next digi that was involved. I can only guess that the original path
was WIDE1-1,WIDE3-1 but could just as well have been WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1.
G0DEC was the IGate3.

In all instances. the station sending the beacon was using MIC-E and the } is
part of the payload.

> Ok - any idea how these could continue to be repeated with the device
> powered off?

It is possible for a digi or IGate to introduce delays. Whenever you see
TCPIP in the path, it would appear that someone gated it back out to
RF. Sorry, but I didn't have time to properly study your examples.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH