[aprssig] THOUGHTS ON RELIEVING APRS CONGESTION ON 144.39

William McKeehan mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net
Sat Nov 20 07:55:39 EST 2010

In East Tennessee, we found that our problem was too many packets from outside
of the area. Here's a post that I put on another board trying to explain how
we addressed this situation; a similar solution may work for you.

The digi's in East Tennessee typically have a HUGE coverage area because of our
mountainous terrain. Without restricting what they digi on, we frequently see
packets from hundreds of miles away (i.e. from Florida, Arkansas, Ohio,
Missouri, etc.) in our area. These packets are needless and reduce the
reliability of the local area packets.

The other TNCs in the area are Kantronics KPC3+; we have them configured with
something like this:

UIDIGI ON TN,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2
UITRACE TN,30
UIFLOOD TEMP,30,ID

This generally provides one or two hops to any station in the area using
recommended paths. We have found that this is enough to facilitate local
situational awareness, getting local traffic into an iGate and local messaging.

We do not digi on WIDE2-1; that is generally used in conjunction with
WIDE1-1 as in WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1. We digi on WIDE1-1, then let the WIDE2-1 die or
possibly be picked up by a digi outside of the area.

We have determined that in our area with our very wide area digis that a
single hop is sufficient for 90%+ of the day-to-day traffic and limiting in
such a way has improved the efficiency of our local network.

We also have the option of using TNn-N if we need wider coverage and support TN
to take advantage of some older TNCs in the area which we have not been able to
get updated to the new WIDEn-N paradigm.

We did extensive testing to arrive at this configuration; we have found that for
day-to-day operations, it works very well and has dramatically reduced the
number of out-of-state packets hear in our area and has greatly improved the
reliability of our local network.

Is this the ideal solution for everyone? Maybe not, but the terrain in East
Tennessee makes things a little different and we have modified our network
infrastructure to deal with these differences as best we can.
--
William McKeehan
KI4HDU