[aprssig] F/U TO MY MSG ON RELIEVING CONGESTION ON APRS

David Dobbins ddobbins at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 11:06:22 EST 2010

As a followup to my earlier message I'd like to say thanks to those who have
contributed to this thread.

We'll continue experimenting/implementing our ideas on 96kbd both VHF and
UHF in the Puget Sound region.

I have a couple questions to answer and will get to them this evening.

Bob's idea of a duplex-APRS 144.39/.99 is interesting to me. I sure would
like to see this implemented somewhere "big" for a year or so, and report
back with how it worked out.

We have resolved some of the x-banding issues. One goal has always been to
make it transparent to the mobile users on different freqs/baud rates to
hear/see each other, and exchange data with each other. The x-band messaging
seems to be resolved, for the most part, through some ingenious hams we have
in Puget Sound. You guys rock!

We're also deep into iGating from the mountaintop, and seeing the advantages
that has to offer. More on this later, after we do some more
proof-of-concept testing.

Some discussion about just making the transition to 96kbd on 144.39 likely
won't fly.....ever. I still see people using RELAY in their path, WIDE5-5
occasionally, and a too-slowly diminishing number of non-S WIDE digipeaters.
Those are all easy changes to implement and if we can't get past making
those kinds of changes, something requiring a change in equipment will never
fly.

Speaking of flying......as I'm into Near Space Projects with high altitude
ballooning, check out K6RPT-11 balloon at 110kft+ just entered Nevada and
still going east. Sure glad I'm not in that chase crew. Perhaps the guys in
Utah will help recover????

Regards, David K7GPS
NWAPRS Spokane Coordinator