[aprssig] d-700 and icons and AVRS!

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Nov 4 10:53:19 EDT 2010

>> And secondly, the "TUNE" or "QSY" feature
>> is a very important concept [for the future of APRS...]
>
> That doesn't change reality: very few radios
> ("few" in terms of stations on the air and
> in terms of available models, take your pick)
> have a tune button.

But we have to start somewhere.  And that new chapter in APRS
has begun... And all future radios will have it..

> Speaking as a user who has dropped a couple of
> grand on two D700s, a D7, and..., I'm not in
> a big hurry to spend several hundred more $$
> just to get a D710 with "tune" button.

Yes, the tune button is just a convenience.  The D700 can still
be easily manuallly tuned to the guy's voice frequency.  But the
absence of the TUNE button does not deminish the real initiative
which is to know what freq the guy is on for voice.

Clever programmers should be able to make little PIC dongles
that attach to the D700 that can somehow capture the freq info
and then tune the radio if we get to that point...

Bob, WB4APR