[aprssig] d-700 and icons

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Nov 1 19:39:47 EDT 2010

> OK, so it's really a limitation of the D700
> or D710 that they sort by callsign rather
> than some other criteria, such as "search for
> repeaters"

Yes, you -can- do that.  But that is not really the point.  When
driving down the road, one should not have to search for
anything.  That is a windows legacy, that all info is just a
click away... Microsoft assumes one has nothing better to do
than click around to find info.

The point of using FREQ objects is so that they show up without
the driver doing anything in the STATION LIST.

> I guess it shows that I don't have one of them
> to view the limitations!

Amen.  It's a radio.  No mouse.

It has a display that includes a station list.  The only thing
in the station list is a list of callsigns... (unless you want
to go pusshing buttons and clicking on menu's to find
something...

By making FREQ OBJECTS with the object name being the FREquency,
then you don't have to search for anything, or search for
repeaters, or push any buttons... You just SEE these local
repeaters FREQs in the list.  And if one wants to QSY, he just
pushes the TUNE button.  Done.

> One day we will move beyond what the D700,
> D710 and TM-350 can do...

We will never move far beyond the driver's ability to process
only a imited amount of information at a time... hands-free on a
radio front panel.  Most other displays are outlawed for the
driver...

You really out to get one...  To see what the APRS mobile
experience is all about.

Or what would really be neat, is for someone to write a D710 or
FTM-350 EMULATOR that shows people the real APRS mobile
experience.  THen maybe we wouldn't see so many useless beacons,
and objects where the information is so hidden that one has to
look for it...

Bob, WB4APR