[aprssig] d-700 and icons

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Mon Nov 1 19:19:02 EDT 2010

Bob WB4APR wrote...

> Repeater callsigns are completely meaningless...

OK, so it's really a limitation of the D700 or D710 that they sort by
callsign rather than some other criteria, such as "search for repeaters"
or whatever based on e.g. the symbol. I guess it shows that I don't
have one of them to view the limitations! With the symbol outputted
to a display type GPS, it is apparent what they are and where they
are. One day we will move beyond what the D700, D710 and TM-350
can do, but for now, it appears that using the frequency for the object
name is the best way to go. The names aren't unique, but that's only
apparent on the APRS-IS, and of course, it's on RF that they are
really useful.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH