[aprssig] d-700 and icons

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Mon Nov 1 13:57:19 EDT 2010

Jim WA9ARB wrote...

> Will answer some questions... No I don't use Xastir and Ui-View at the
> same time. One transmits and one listens so I can see what's going on.

My recommendation would be to use different SSID for each, but as long
as they aren't both on at the same time. Ummm... why is one transmit only
and the other receive only? Or do you mean both are on at the same time
but only one transmits?

> I have been using the defaults in Ui-View and Xastir for the paths.

Actually, the default in UI-View is no path at all. It is a bit confusing
for people first using it, because "APRS" is entered for the destination
and the RF path is entered after that. UI-View then translates that to
APU25N (at least for UI-View32 2.03) before it goes out over the air.
For a one hop path, you would enter "APRS,WIDE2-1" in UI-View.

> It appears that the paths in both clients are tied to the station
> beacons... can't seem to set them separately.

I can't speak for Xastir, but yes, that is correct for UI-View. Just
change your path to a one hop WIDE2-1 and you can at least keep
your repeater objects fairly close to home. If your antenna was high
up, I would recommend no path at all. Of course, if a high WIDEn-N
digi could create the object and send it direct, that would be even
better.

> The next thing is that this morning I saw a d-star object on the
> d-700... that's not supposed to be supported (according to the manual).
> Hope this helps a little.

Ummm... was the D-Star object really an APRS object advertising
a D-Star repeater or whatever?

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH