[aprssig] APRStt ( change the subject line )

ml41782 ml41782 at yahoo.com
Fri May 28 08:28:21 EDT 2010

Thanks ,
 I also run the mini ITX systems myself. Normally with 4 gigs ram and either a 1GB flash drive or a 10 gig laptop HD. I prefer running Linux Mint 9, ax25 tools,  digi_ned and shortly I will add APRSG to finish it up for now.  I have found Mint 9 to be more stable than any other versions. ( My preference ) . Ubuntu 10 they dropped and screwed up what they had working from earlier versions.
Life of an ITX at a site is less than two years and Its time to swap out components. sometimes more sometimes less. The great thing is that you can use the site batteries to power it.

I would like to find someone that would write the APRStt software to linux so it could be run from a compact flash or solid state HD. I'm willing to build out the hardware, Do the testing, tweaking and report bugs. I'm not a code writer.

You just can't run windows for a very long time on on compact flash.
too much memory writes and swaps.

Mike K4MQF

"
From: Michael Conrad <do5mc at friggleware.de>
Subject: Re: [aprssig] APRSG Igate software

Hi,

Vaporware ? I seem to see some software at one tine. I don't like the
idea of another computer getting the heat of summer and the cold of
winter. I tried it with an igate a long time ago since my isp is on the
same tower as my equipment. There is no Air conditioning in the
building. Laptops and PC's are damaged every time I set them up.
> A short time setup it works.
> Would love to see a linux version come out and run it off of a compact flash. The killer is the hard
drives.
just check out

- aprx (http://wiki.ham.fi/Aprx.en)

- aprs4r (http://www.aprs4r.org)

- digi_ned (http://digined.pe1mew.nl)

All of them are available for small wireless router (no moving parts)
running OpenWrt (Embedded Linux, see http://www.openwrt.org).

Regards

      Micha

PS: I would prefer aprs4r ;-)