[aprssig] D710 Whack-Alert

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Fri May 21 00:17:20 EDT 2010

--- Brian Clark wrote:
> Perhaps their APRS setup does not allow voice alert.

Brian,

  Bob's point is that they *were* runing 100 Hz PL effectively calling CQ, yet  they were NOT LISTENING for responses to their CQ by Bob.  I get the same thing.

> I currently run an Icom 2720 with an OT2m ...
> If I set the radio to pl100, I will not receive anything ...

  When a tracker is used, special things need to be dome to utilize Voice Alert.

> I am connected to the data jack.  I
> have tried the 1200 and the 9600 baud lines and have
> switched the menu between 1200 and 9600 with the same
> results (if anyone has made this radio work correctly,
> please let me know).

On the 9600 output some de-emphasis must be added [[unless the OT has that as an option.  I'm not familiar with the OT units]].  1200 baud AX.25 is based on de-emphasized audio.  Data outputs (9600) do not de-emphasize AND I believe they are Un-Squelched.  Simply the discriminator output.

I could be wrong, but I think the 1200 output is the same thing fed to the speaker.  In other words, it will be (normally) squelched with both the noise (carrier) squelch and CTCSS squelch, making it useless if CT 100 is on (as you commented).

>  My options were running the tracker on a separate radio,
> and set the dual-bander to listen only or purchase a D710.

I think you're catching on.  You must be able to listen (audio-wise) on .39 with 100 CTCSS as well as beacon with 100 Hz Tx Tone and, also, have the OT "listen" to Carrier Squelched audio on .39.  These *can* be mutually exclusive in one radio [unless you use the 9600 output and provide de-emphasis for the OT].

> Fortunately, I found a...D710...
> So I will be running voice alert soon.
> Brian, W4SOU

Just make sure you LISTEN on the .39 side...AND ... TURN 100 Hz Tx Tone OFF when you don't want to talk with other mobiles that you happen across.

--
73, Steve, K9DCI