[aprssig] D710 Whack-A-Mole!

Brian Clark brianclark.w4sou at gmail.com
Thu May 20 21:25:23 EDT 2010

Robert Bruninga wrote:
> Which is the whole point of this thread!
> 95% of APRS operators are clueless about the value of running
> Voice Alert!
>
> And unless they are running Voice Alert, then there is nothing
> to hear.... And they are out of contact to other APRS mobile
> operators...
>
> Which is why I started this thread...  Going to dayton, and
> seeing all kinds of APRS mobiles, but not being able to hear
> them when they passed by, nor being able to contact them when I
> saw thm nearby was frustrating.
>
> So come on folks.  When you are on th open road, available for
> contacts, run Voice Alert!
>
> Bob, Wb4aPR

Perhaps their APRS setup does not allow voice alert.  I currently run an
Icom 2720 with an OT2m and Nuvi 350.  If I set the radio to pl100, I
will not receive anything (other stations, objects, etc) unless they are
also using PL100.  I am connected to the data jack.  I have tried the
1200 and the 9600 baud lines and have switched the menu between 1200 and
9600 with the same results (if anyone has made this radio work
correctly, please let me know).  My options were running the tracker on
a separate radio, and set the dual-bander to listen only or purchase a
D710.  Fortunately, I found a good price last weekend and the D710 is in
a box behind me (thanks to Brown).  So I will be running voice alert soon.

Brian, W4SOU