[aprssig] Station STATUS (or POSN) TXT and Freq

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu May 20 12:43:45 EDT 2010

PRIORITIZE TEXT!

Everyone should remember that the STATUS or POSITION text is
very strongly left justified as far as priority of information
is concerned:

  1st 10 bytes - Shows on FTM350R STATION LIST always.
               - Shows on TMD710a STATION LIST if it is
FREQuency

  1st 20 bytes - Shows on all D7, D700, D710, FTM350* Flash
displays

  1st 28 bytes - Shows on D700, D710 FTM350* Flash displays only

  Beyond 28 bytes - only shows on APRS client software

  * I have not yet seen what the flash display of the FTM350
looks like yet, so I assume that it displays at least the first
20 bytes.  When someone confirms how many bytes of STATUS are
flashed on the screen as each new packet is received, then I
will update this list.

FTM-350:
You will start seeing a lot more mobiles now with their voice
operating frequency in their beacon as you see the FTM-350R
radios populate APRS.  You can enable  your automatic frequency
insertion in any of the 5 STATUS texts by enabling FREQUENCY in
the E13 STATUS TXT Menu.

TMD710:
Unfortunatley, MOST D710 owners have not figured out how to
enable this very powerful feature.   It is located in STATUS #5
only.  Generally, I only see about 20% using it.

In my opinion, everyone should enable this function so others
can see where you are operating the VOICE side of your rig and
contact you.  Only enable TONE if it is actually used, because
otherwise, it just takes up another 10 bytes.

EXAMPLE.

Taking advantage of all of the above, I use STATUS #5 in my D710
and have it loaded with the following:  "[FREQ MHZ] & V-Alert
Bob".  Then the radio inserts the frequency and it all fits
nicely in the 10 x 10 x 8 FLASH displays of most radios:

| WB4APR-9   |
| 147.105MHz |
| & V-Alert  |
| Bob        |