[aprssig] Beta-quality APRS device statistics (ALTnets?)

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Thu May 20 11:00:44 EDT 2010

On Thu, 20 May 2010, Robert Bruninga wrote:

>>> The unknown destination call in your list
>>> "PSKAPR" is generated by  PSKmail.
>
>> Bob, could you add it to http://aprs.org/aprs11/tocalls.txt
>
> Good question.  It does not begin with "AP" so it is not an APRS
> format, and so it will be ignored by all APRS software that
> honors the ALT-NET concept.

> I may be wrong, but I think that Uiview does not honor ALTNET,
> and so just because someething can be seen on Uiview does not
> mean it is a valid APRS packet and will be seen or even saved by
> other APRS clients.

Just because some guys decided to use an ALTNET, doesn't mean the packets
aren't valid APRS packets. ALTNET is a concept specified in the APRS
documentation, and there's nothing invalid about that as such.

> Should I begin listing ALTENTS too?

Probably the biggest ones should be documented somewhere.

> Even though no one should see them?

I don't think anyone would be happy if software would actually hide the
current altnets by default. Does anyone actually do that, anyway? I feel
the more sensible default (from the usability and user friendliness angle)
would be to show everything by default, and in case the user has selected
an altnet, to filter on dstcall. Maybe an option to hide selected altnets.

   - Hessu