[aprssig] D710 Whack-A-Mole!

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed May 19 14:47:49 EDT 2010

>> My point here is that I haven't heard any in
>> simplex range since I added the 100Hz tone to
>> the radio.
>
> Agreed.  In an average of two cross-country
> trips a year between Los Angeles and the mid-west
> (round trip of about 4500 miles), and in daily
> use in Los Angeles (surely one of the most APRS-
> saturated environments anywhere), I have heard
> exactly ONE voice alert in three years.

Which is the whole point of this thread!
95% of APRS operators are clueless about the value of running
Voice Alert!

And unless they are running Voice Alert, then there is nothing
to hear.... And they are out of contact to other APRS mobile
operators...

Which is why I started this thread...  Going to dayton, and
seeing all kinds of APRS mobiles, but not being able to hear
them when they passed by, nor being able to contact them when I
saw thm nearby was frustrating.

So come on folks.  When you are on th open road, available for
contacts, run Voice Alert!

Bob, Wb4aPR