[aprssig] D710 Whack-A-Mole!

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed May 19 14:18:01 EDT 2010

Alex Carver wrote:
> My point here is that I haven't heard any in simplex range since I added the 100Hz tone to the radio.  It's been programmed in since you conceived the idea and I just haven't heard a single station.

Agreed.  In an average of two cross-country trips a year between Los
Angeles and the mid-west (round trip of about 4500 miles), and in daily
use in Los Angeles (surely one of the most APRS-saturated environments
anywhere), I have heard exactly ONE voice alert in three years.

[I have had people call me occasionally on  '52 after seeing my status
beacon of "Mobile SSTV LiveCAM  146.52 or HF".]

>>   I just
>> don't
>> understand why someone would have a ham radio on, during
>> the
>> prime-ham-driving day of the year if he was not interested
>> in
>> being able to hear someone call him.
>>

> I can think of three reasons.  One is that they were trying to drive in traffic and just couldn't play with the radio at that moment.  Two, they are using the radio to talk to a select group of people (perhaps a caravan) and weren't entirely interested in random QSOs at that moment.  Three, they were using APRS so friends and family at home could monitor their progress but weren't interested in random QSOs.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

NEW!    *** HF APRS over PSK63 ***
   http://wa8lmf.net/APRS_PSK63/index.htm

Universal HF/VHF/UHF Antenna Mounting System
  http://wa8lmf.net/mobile/UniversalAntMountSystem.htm

  http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths