[aprssig] Beta-quality APRS device statistics

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed May 19 14:08:24 EDT 2010

Heikki Hannikainen wrote:

> I wonder if this has been done before? APRS device / software
> popularity over 7 days (11th to 17th May, 2010):
>
> http://aprs.fi/doc/DeviceID-2010-05-11-17.txt
>
> The data is possibly quite inaccurate until some detections are fixed.
> It's also easy to fake this, and many devices have obviously wrong
> destination callsign settings. Please let me know if devices are
> detected incorrectly *and* you know *how* they can be identified (it's
> impossible for many devices).
>
> Thanks,
>
>   - Hessu

Very interesting............

For your information:

    * New destination of "APSK63" is being generated by the APRS
      Messenger  APRS-over-PSK63 program now being increasingly used on
      30 meters HF.    Full details on this new APRS mode here:

     <http://wa8lmf.net/APRS_PSK63/

    * APTIGR is used by Tigertronics Tigertrack tracker (device similar
      to a TinyTrack).  I have used one on on 30M HF conventional AX.25
      FSK  APRS for about 7 years now.

If your statistics are even remotely correct, it's interesting to note
that the top 10 originators of APRS packets by vendors are HARDWARE
devices (trackers, Kenwood radios, etc), rather than computer programs,
with the exception of UIview and "Open Source" (which I presume means
Xastir)..

I'm guessing the vast majority of users are now moving to hardware-only
sources, probably overwhelmingly transmit-only.  I would further posit
that these same users are probably using the Internet sites findu,
APRS.fi, etc) to see the results of their transmissions, rather than run
local software for off-the-air receive.

(In my experience, even the potentially two-way hardware devices like
Kenwood radios, are used mainly as self-contained plug-and-play
transmit-only trackers. Interactive messaging on these devices is just
too clunky and distracting to use in a mobile environment.)

In other words, like it or not, APRS *has* become primarily an AVL system.

One class of stations that would seem to "fall through the cracks" in
this analysis is Kenwood radios connected to mapping GPSes like the
AVmap, or Tracker 2s connected to Garmin Nuvis that would appear to be
only trackers, but ARE capable of full mapping displays or even
interactive messaging.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

NEW!    *** HF APRS over PSK63 ***
   http://wa8lmf.net/APRS_PSK63/index.htm

Universal HF/VHF/UHF Antenna Mounting System
  http://wa8lmf.net/mobile/UniversalAntMountSystem.htm

  http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths