[aprssig] APRStt lives! (APRSspeak)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue May 18 16:51:04 EDT 2010

> Subject: Re: [aprssig] APRStt lives! (APRSspeak)
> Let me know. When The software is public.
> That would work great to have it at the repeater
> site on the input freq

Of course, the PL decoding of individual users would only work
on a carrier squelch repeater and only for a small club with
only a dozen or so common users...  Ohterwise, just too much
falsing...

But if you are talking about the APRStt DTMF callsigns, then,
that was the plan 3 years ago dayton, but then after thinking
about it A LOT, we came to the conclusion that in most repeaters
that is not a good idea.  The repeater sysops do not like
hearing lots of random DTMF's on the repeater, and they like it
even worse when the tones are muted and they cannot tell what
people are doing.

Thus, we completely abandoned any idea of using the APRStt DTMF
on repeaters.  The current plan is to suggest monitoring it on
146.58 if available in an area for general checkins.  And to use
it on any other needed simplex frequency for special events
where its power can have real advantages.

Bob, Wb4aPR

event,