[aprssig] APRStt lives! (APRSspeak)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue May 18 11:07:49 EDT 2010

> What are PL/DCS tones supposed to provide?
> At a glance, it looks like Rube Goldberg*
> complexity to avoid entering a couple of DTMF digits.

Lets say we are using a 1 digit grid across our event map like
we had at Dayton (see www.aprs.org/aprstt.html . For a person to
report his new location say at the forum rooms (33) he has to
send B133* which is relatively short.  But then to tie that to
his callsign, he has to send his callsign memory which is 16
digits... A2B3A4C56C2B93#, for a total of 21 digits.

Although the person only has to enter B133* nanually, and then
send the other 16 digits from DTMF memory, the PL idea is much
much simpler.

All the PL/DTMF user has to do is hold down his PTT, and send
"B33*". Done.  A 5 to 1 reduction in airtime.

> IMO APRStt is on the edge of too much effort/
> complexity for not enough return.
> PL/DCS pushes it over the edge.

Actually, I see it as simplifying the use of DTMF and APRStt so
much for special events, that it has a niche.  But mostly only
for special events (with less than 2 dozen operators), because
the assignment of calls to fixed PL's is something that is easy
to organize for an event right on the "participation list" in
advance.

But for general purpose DTMF "Iam here" checkins, the full DTMF
callsign from callsign memory is the way to go since it needs no
prior planning.

Bob, Wb4APR