[aprssig] APRStt lives! (APRSspeak)

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at ai4px.com
Tue May 18 10:15:05 EDT 2010

Reading Steve's list also made me realize that one of the other advantages
of mapping PL tones to a user is for quickly tracking down a stuck mic.

I don't wanna go out on a limb for Byon's DTMF decoder, but it seems to me
that a low pass filter could be used to pass the PL tone to an interupt
input for timing measurement.  I think that's how the CAT1000 repeater
controller does it.

Wes

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 23:40, Steve Noskowicz <noskosteve at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Jason KG4WSV wrote:
>
> > What are PL/DCS tones supposed to provide?
> > -Jason kg4wsv
>

> At first I thought, neat, but then wondered what it could be used for.
>
> I think its a given that you hafta' know what you're doing to use several
> of APRS's features...
>
> So...
> I do the DTMF thing with a Sub-audible on.
> The APRStt system knows which code I'm using.
> Every time I transmit, it knows it is me.
>
> THEN:
> If I ask all participants in an event to pick a different code.
> The system knows when each station transmits.
>

> To use this:
> I have to set up a system for avoiding duplicate codes.
>

> What does it do for us?
>
> This system knows who transmits and when.
>
> - It *could* automatically display who transmitted at an EOC.
> - It *could* automatically speak the station's call, but
>    that could add confusion unless it waits until the end of transmission.
> - It could allow a simple key-up to act as a ROGER (assuming it is
>    long enough for the decoder to decode it).
> - When a station transmits, it refreshes its presence in the system.
> - Some pre-defined sub-audible code(s) could be used as a
>   silent signal such as Emergency, Hijack, except you now wouldn't
>   know who is transmitting since it requires changing codes.
>

> The part I'm having trouble appreciating is:
>
> > The POWER of APRStt and APRSspeak is that it lets 100% of
> > a club or all volunteers at a special event communicate
> > inportant information, not just the 10% that have APRS capability.
> > Not just position, but simple messages and numeric data can be sent.
>
> If the information is to be sent via DTMF, that is not necessarily better
> than just saying it.   This may also require some education as to how to
> send the data if it is alphanumeric -- "for this message, push this".
>

> Thinking aloud...
>
> With a few preprogrammed DTMF sequences, a station only has to send the
> DTMF and he is identified by his PL/DCS code.  Sending DTMF may allow
> capturing data directly by the system rather than writing it down.
>
> Different sub-audible codes could be used as different messages, with the
> same training issue AND changing them is awkward.
> With just s few messages, different radio memories (not DTMF memories)could
> be used for different messages...  Requires pre-programming them.  But, once
> done AND with memory alpha tags to indicate what the mesage is, this
> simplifies is a bit.
>

> So... yea.  I'm haviang trouble seeing much benefit.
>
> Steve

Wes
---
God help those who do not help themselves.