[aprssig] APRStt lives! (APRSspeak)

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Mon May 17 23:40:32 EDT 2010

--- Jason KG4WSV wrote:

> What are PL/DCS tones supposed to provide?
> -Jason kg4wsv

At first I thought, neat, but then wondered what it could be used for.

I think its a given that you hafta' know what you're doing to use several of APRS's features...

So...
I do the DTMF thing with a Sub-audible on.
The APRStt system knows which code I'm using.
Every time I transmit, it knows it is me.

THEN:
If I ask all participants in an event to pick a different code.
The system knows when each station transmits.

To use this:
I have to set up a system for avoiding duplicate codes.

What does it do for us?

This system knows who transmits and when.

- It *could* automatically display who transmitted at an EOC.
- It *could* automatically speak the station's call, but
   that could add confusion unless it waits until the end of transmission.
- It could allow a simple key-up to act as a ROGER (assuming it is
   long enough for the decoder to decode it).
- When a station transmits, it refreshes its presence in the system.
- Some pre-defined sub-audible code(s) could be used as a
   silent signal such as Emergency, Hijack, except you now wouldn't
   know who is transmitting since it requires changing codes.

The part I'm having trouble appreciating is:

> The POWER of APRStt and APRSspeak is that it lets 100% of
> a club or all volunteers at a special event communicate
> inportant information, not just the 10% that have APRS capability.
> Not just position, but simple messages and numeric data can be sent.

If the information is to be sent via DTMF, that is not necessarily better than just saying it.   This may also require some education as to how to send the data if it is alphanumeric -- "for this message, push this".

Thinking aloud...

With a few preprogrammed DTMF sequences, a station only has to send the DTMF and he is identified by his PL/DCS code.  Sending DTMF may allow capturing data directly by the system rather than writing it down.

Different sub-audible codes could be used as different messages, with the same training issue AND changing them is awkward.
With just s few messages, different radio memories (not DTMF memories)could be used for different messages...  Requires pre-programming them.  But, once done AND with memory alpha tags to indicate what the mesage is, this simplifies is a bit.

So... yea.  I'm haviang trouble seeing much benefit.

Steve