[aprssig] APRStt lives! (APRSspeak)

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at ai4px.com
Mon May 17 21:38:51 EDT 2010

This was discussed at Dayton, and what I'd love to see is that the APRS TT
decoder software would read the PL or DCS tone that is being sent as the
DTMFs that represent my callsign are being sent.  This would create a mapped
entry.

Let's say I send PL 156.7 and the string of DTMFs that represent AI4PX.  The
software then associates PL 156.7 to my callsign and all  have to do is
enter my position DTMFs.

Bob would be happy to have us manually setup the mapping between PL/DCS
tones and callsigns, but I think it would be even easier to have the
software do the mapping over the air.  Any mappings would expire after 24 or
48 hours... so the next weekend or race when the software was used, it would
start with a clean slate.

So what happens when Joe Ham comes along and uses PL 156.7 to map to his
callsign?  Since I already "took" that PL tone, the software would respond
by voice and tell Joe that the 156.7 slot was taken and suggest the next
blank slot. I don't think we'd want it telling Joe that the tone was
assigned to ai4px, that might lead to many queries and a heck of a lot of
mischief.  Automatic assignment would facilitate people simply arriving on
scene and "checking in" without having to find the person who knows how to
program the callsign mapping.

The difficulty I see in this after thinking about it on the way home today
is that is someone forgets to turn off PL tones that they may have left on
in their radio.... Somone could easily "hijack" my position, but then again,
someone accidentally playing a PL tone wouldn't be just sending position
info in the first place... THey might key up and speak on the simplex
frequency w/o realizing they used my PL tone, no harm, no foul.

Wes
---
God help those who do not help themselves.