[aprssig] APRN status?

Jeff Davis ke9v at amsat.org
Fri Mar 26 15:05:30 EDT 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 11:34:39AM -0700, Scott Miller wrote:
> I just need the az/el system and antennas!  If anyone has a used
> G-5500 or something similar they want to sell, let me know.  I'll
> come get it anywhere between Los Angeles and San Francisco.

It seems to me that this is a real market oppotunity for some
enterprising small businessman... (hint-hint).

The Yaesu (and others) rotors were designed for AZ-EL work with
mode-B satellite arrays and EME work. In other words, it is built
to turn a small VW bus in a stiff windstorm. And you pay for the beef.

Since there is no more future for sats except at LEO, we really could
use a much lower priced AZ-EL rotor built for much smaller loads, more
the size of an Arrow antenna as opposed to four stacked arrays, etc.

I think a lot of folks would be interested in a small az-el setup that
could be driven by the computer, mounted on a tripod that would steer an
Arrow antenna while chasing LEO's (or balloons) from the field...

I know I certainly would.

73,
--
Jeff KE9V