[aprssig] aprssig Digest, Vol 69, Issue 15

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Tue Mar 16 16:37:03 EDT 2010

Rodgé JONES wrote:
> Advice please; may i pose the question as to how/why DSTAR appears on
> APRS maps? I am curious because i cannot access a nearby repeater
> since a -C appeared by the callsign.

TRIM REPLY BEFORE SENDING!   TRIM REPLY BEFORE SENDING!   TRIM REPLY
BEFORE SENDING!

You have needlessly resent completely unrelated messages,  and exposed
all the "email hacked" victims' addresses back to the mailing list once
again.

D-Star position reports get picked up by "D-Gate stations (often
co-located with D-Star repeaters), are reformatted into APRS-format
position, and then injected into the APRS Internet System just like a
normal APRS igate.

Note the SSID.    "-C"  would be impossible for normal RF APRS
operation.  ("Legal" over-the-air AX-25 packet SSIDs can only be in the
range of -0 through -15.)   However, anything goes for the APRS-IS or
non-packet RF modes -- any two character combination of letters and/or
numbers  will work,  when normal over-the-air AX.25 packet TNCs are not
involved.

For example, the new APRS-over-PSK63 protocol now being used on 30-meter
HF encourages stations to use "-63" as an SSID,  so that PSK63 stations
on APRS maps can be distinguished from "conventional" AX.25 packet APRS
stations on 30m.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

NEW!    Universal HF/VHF/UHF Antenna Mounting System
  http://wa8lmf.net/mobile/UniversalAntMountSystem.htm

  http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths

Symbols Set for UI-View,
UIpoint and APRSplus: