[aprssig] APRS Messenger PSK-63 On The Air Reports -- Magnetic Loop Antenna Now Up

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Mar 8 17:41:51 EST 2010

[ 14:30 Pacific Time (02:27 UTC)  Monday 8 Mar]

I have successfully built, tuned and erected a homebrew magnetic loop
antenna this afternoon.    I now have this antenna connected to the
TS-50 that is monitoring 10.149 APRS (Both AX.25 FSK and PSK63).
This replaces the homebrew vertical dipole made from two 30M mobile
HamSticks that I have been using up til now.    The HF all-us map
display on my web server at:

    <http://wa8lmf.dyndns.org:14439>

is now using the new loop antenna.

The first thing I noticed is that the natural background hiss and "band
noise" heard with the new antenna dropped about 1 S-unit compared to the
dipole.    However, the TV sync hash from a leaking cable TV trunk, and
AC hum and buzz that I was hearing on the dipole has completely
disappeared.   I appear to have a far higher signal-to-noise ratio than
before.

I expect that the small (1 meter diameter) resonant loop will have far
better high-angle reception than the vertical dipole.  I should be able
to hear stations up and down the west coast (i.e. a relatively short
haul of 400-1000 miles) much better.

Eagerly awaiting the stations from the midwest and east coast that
normally start showing up about 16:00 local time.

Details on this dirt-cheap easy-to-build compact antenna  for 30 meters
(that could be stealthed in an attic) will follow in a week or so.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

NEW!    Universal HF/VHF/UHF Antenna Mounting System
  http://wa8lmf.net/mobile/UniversalAntMountSystem.htm

  http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths

Symbols Set for UI-View,
UIpoint and APRSplus: