[aprssig] FW: APRS community resource

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Mar 5 12:21:34 EST 2010

A local club denied a member's requrest to install APRS on the
club tower...

Reasons given in unanimously voting down the proposal were.
1) We know where we are, APRS provides no value to us.
2) Our town is small, we do not need GPS tracking for emergency
comms

To which I sent back the comment, that generally, APRS is
installed in an area as a local community resource for mobles
and visitors and travelers and is not necessarily of immediate
value to own members.  You do it for the greater ham
community... But again, it points out that most non-APRS hams
see APRS only for tracking, and not as a community resource.  So
here is one of my replies...

-------
I think the reason I promote the info distribution aspect of
APRS is because I generally believe that people are not
interested in things that do not provide them personal benefit
or advantage.  This is not a selfish thing, it is just human
nature.

The point being that everyone that wants to be tracked is
already doing it on APRS.  And after 18 years of APRS, those
that do, do.  Those that don't never will.  They'd have to live
on mars not to be aware of how APRS can let others track them.
But the benefit to the driver of a tracking TX device is just
not there.

On the otherhand.  If people realize that APRS lets them receive
and display information to them about everything going on around
them in ham radio, then their inner ham-radio-read-the-mail
instinct gets interested.  Now there is something they can see
the benefit of every time they get in the mobile.

The growth curve of APRS as a tracking system peaked 10 years
ago and will not go higher because of all the "I dont care if
people know where I am" attitude that prevails in the other 95%
of ham radio operators.  But of that other 95%, almost -none- of
them are aware of what APRS can do for them individually as a
receive system.

And unlike promoting the tracking side, (anyone can go look at
APRS.FI), there is no easy way for the  have-nots to see what
they are missing with respect to the receive side of APRS.
Unless they see it there on the front panel of their radio, they
do not know it exists.

Even for me, tracking myself has little appeal.  Its there,
done.  Nice to have.  But what I thurst for is seeing what
others are doing, and getting info about ALL activities and
local resources in ham radio while I am mobile (the only place I
have time to play radio).  BUT, a large majority of APRS users
who are into APRS only for tracking, are also oblivious to
receiving and display in their mobile, so even they do not see
the benefit of putting out local sources of info for those
-receiving- mobiles in need of local info.  So unless info is
being put-out there, then there is nothing to see...  Hence the
LOCAL INFO initiative: www.aprs.org/localinfo.html

Hope that helps explain my approach.