[aprssig] Using SSID's outside 0 to 15

Randy Love rlove31 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 08:12:25 EST 2010

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 7:59 AM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
> APRS messages do NOT use the AX.25 header for the intended recipient.  The
> recipient of the message is in the payload portion which is sent in
> un-encoded ASCII on all mediums (that I know of).  Any replies or acks
> (which are really just APRS messages with special text) would be sent from
> the extended -SSID on HF or APRS-IS and would then (should then) be gated
> back to VHF as 3rd party packets within which the IGate's call goes in the
> AX.25 header and the gated source call again goes into the payload which can
> handle anything.

Since that is the case, may I suggest that the SSID of -63 be
designated the primary SSID for PSK63 stations? That should make it
very easy to determine that they are on PSK63 whether via 30M or even
2m SSB for that matter.

Has there been any thought to using this PSK63 version for making
propagation networks for 10m or other HF bands? Seems perfectly suited
to find early band opening due to the success of PSK63 as
less-than-optimal propagation conditions. It would show exactly ( or
to the nearest grid ) where your are seeing propagation from since GPS
coords or grid square are used for location. Heck, you could even
announce that your station is on the air and your current frequencies
like on VHF/UHF with the D7x0 series radio. :)

Randy
WF5X