[aprssig] APRS Messenger now has APRS over PSK-63

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Mar 1 20:31:06 EST 2010

On 3/1/2010 5:04 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
> Chris posted earlier that he has hard-coded the 14580 standard filter
> port for the APRS-IS server connection.
>
>> I'm now trying to get APRS Messenger on one PC on my LAN to connect
>> to an APRS server on another PC on my LAN.  There doesn't seem any
>> way of specifying the TCP/IP port number of the server.    I tried
>> the customary format of:
>>
>>       192.168.1.30:14433
>>
>> (the IP address and port number of the target server) without
>> success.     Is some other format required?    What port number is
>> APRS Messenger defaulting to for it's logins?

That's going to make using the UIview local server the way I described
impossible since the main connection (public-facing side) of UIview is
already using port 14580 for login to an Internet server.    I hope
Chris will consider making this port changeable, perhaps through a .ini
or other config file.

The UIview local server is a very useful tool.  It allows multiple
machines on a LAN (or multiple applications on a single machine) to
share data from the Internet connection of the first copy of UIview.
It also allows the client machines to see everything received by the
host machine's TNC(s) if any.  Further, the local server is
bi-directional, allowing the client machines to send data to the
host/master which in turn can plot it on it's map and/or send it to the
Internet.   It reduces the loading of the Internet servers and conserves
Internet bandwidth by allowing all the machines/APRS apps on your LAN to
use only one Internet login.  (Instead of the usual kludge of multiple
SSIDs with separate logins.)

The local server really shines in EOC-type scenarios where it can allow
multiple workstations on the LAN to all see exactly the same traffic.  I
have even port-forwarded the local server connection through routers to
the Internet and then back through a second router miles away so that an
APRS app on a PC in a basement office, with no radio, could use the data
being heard by a copy of UIview with a radio/TNC located on the top
floor of another building on a college campus.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

NEW!    Universal HF/VHF/UHF Antenna Mounting System
   http://wa8lmf.net/mobile/UniversalAntMountSystem.htm

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths

Symbols Set for UI-View,
UIpoint and APRSplus: