[aprssig] APRS Messenger now has APRS over PSK-63

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Mar 1 18:46:40 EST 2010

On 3/1/2010 2:42 AM, Chris Moulding wrote:
> My plan is to use the standard APRS GPS position for APRS over PSK-63.
> For example:
>
> G4HYG-9>APSK63:=5332.76N/00225.91Wj
>
> As well as being "human readable" on the APRS Messenger program it
> will also be readable by the casual radio amateur tuning his digi mode
> receiver to 10.1497 MHz. Even if someone has never heard about APRS
> they should be able to figure out that that is a GPS position and may
> be encouraged to investigate further.
>
> I understand the advantages of the Mic-E format but it's a fairly
> short packet as it is.
>
> 73,
>
> Chris, G4HYG

1)     For whatever it's worth, I conducted experiments with AX25 300
baud FSK on 30M with a TinyTrak III a couple of years ago.  The TinyTrak
III can be configured for either standard APRS format or Mic-E mode,
making for a very nice controlled experiment.    From a mobile
consisting of a Yaesu FT-100 and ATAS-100 mini-screwdriver, the success
rate for posits reaching the Internet was nearly TWICE as high for the
Mic-E format compared to the standard APRS format.

2)     Are you going to offer a pull-down symbol menu or other means of
entering the two control characters required to determine the APRS
symbol and overlay character?   Or will one have to look up these codes
from another document such as the ones here:

<http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/APRS_symbols.htm>

<http://wa8lmf.net/miscinfo/APRS_Symbol_Chart_Rev-H.pdf>       PDF WARNING

<http://wa8lmf.net/miscinfo/APRSsymbolcodes.txt>

3)    Is the local TCP/IP port in APRS Messenger hard-wired, or is there
some way to change a .CFG or .INI file or similar to change the port
number?

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

NEW!    Universal HF/VHF/UHF Antenna Mounting System
   http://wa8lmf.net/mobile/UniversalAntMountSystem.htm

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths

Symbols Set for UI-View,
UIpoint and APRSplus: