[aprssig] ts-2000

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Mar 1 14:51:21 EST 2010

On 3/1/2010 10:42 AM, Wes Johnston, AI4PX wrote:
> Any complaints about using the internal modem in a ts-2000 for aprs?
> I expect not, but thought I'd ask.

It works.  It's the same TASCO modem on a chip as in the D700 and
TH-D7.  The major differences are that:

1)   The internal firmware DOES NOT support stand-alone APRS operation.
(It's focused on automated DX spots that will autotune the HF side of
the radio based on reports from the local DX packet cluster, and on the
"Sky Command" remote control features instead of APRS.)    When the TNC
is under control of an external computer running APRS software, it acts
almost exactly the same as a D700.

2)   The TS-2000 does not have the second serial port for a GPS.  (This
is also part of not supporting stand-alone APRS operation.)

> Also, does this TNC have the same limited buffer as the d700's
> (thereby making it practically useless for long 9k6 packets)?

YES

> Can the TNC be used on the 6m side of the rig?
I'm not sure.   The TNC is definitely only for FM operation (it lacks
the 300 baud mode needed for HF packet).

Note that the TS-2000 is actually two separate radios in one box.  One
is an HF+6 all mode SSB rig similar to a TS-690. The other is a FM-only
2M/UHF dual-bander similar to a TM-V7, which itself is essentially a
D700 minus the TNC.     I'm not sure whether the TS-2000's TNC is
permanently wedded to the FM-only radio, or can be switched to the
all-mode rig in FM mode, which would be required to use it on 6 meters.

> What frequency can we find 6m aprs activity?
The national packet/APRS channel on 6M seems to be 50.62 in most places.

> I'd like to play on 6m since the TV stations vacated the 6m band (for
> the most part).  I've looked and the closest TV station that is still
> in the low band is channel 6 in Augusta and it's far enough out of
> 50mhz as to not matter

The end of analog channel 2 seems to be creating a renaissance of 6
meter activity everywhere.  The digital alter-ego of nearly all "Channel
2" stations is now in the UHF band.  There are now only 7 stations left
on the "real" channel 2 in the entire country, mostly in minor markets.
   In ALL the major markets where TV began (starting with channel 2)  in
the late 1940s (New York, Boston, Washington, Detroit, Chicago, Los
Angeles, Denver, Dallas, San Francisco, etc) channel 2 is now gone.

Here in Los Angeles, as in these other areas, the 24/7 20db-over-S9
grunge level of sync hash from quarter-MEGAwatt visual transmitters on
56 MHz,, that made 6 meters almost totally unusable (except for 100W
base stations) for the last 50-odd years, is finally GONE!!!    (Because
the upper half of 6M was TOTALLY obliterated by lower sideband hash from
from chan 2, it was L.A.-area hams that first petitioned the FCC for FM
operation BELOW 52 MHz. As a result, the local SoCal equivalent of the
52.525 FM calling channel was, for decades, 50.3 MHz in an effort to get
farther away from the TV trash.)

On July 2nd, 2009, the noise floor on 50.125 in Pasadena, CA dropped
instantly from  40 dB over 9 to S-0 when KCBS Channel 2 pulled the plug
on their analog TX on Mount Wilson.  [Chan 2 stayed on the air for a
full month after the official digital switch on June 2  broadcasting an
endless loop, alternately in English and Spanish, about how to switch to
digital -- a so-called "night light" station of the digital transition.]

The level of activity here on 6M has increased DRAMATICALLY over the
last 6 months or so.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

NEW!    Universal HF/VHF/UHF Antenna Mounting System
   http://wa8lmf.net/mobile/UniversalAntMountSystem.htm

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths

Symbols Set for UI-View,
UIpoint and APRSplus: