[aprssig] APRS Messenger now has APRS over PSK-63

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Mar 1 04:32:25 EST 2010

On 3/1/2010 12:29 AM, Frank or Barbara Rossi wrote:
> Was doing some testing with the new 1800Hz version with AGWPE free.
> Something is not calculated correct for APRS Messenger TX
>
> No matter what my radio dial must be tuned to 10.1515 LSB to RX the
> AX25 at 2100Hz - 2300Hz
> That means I need the 2100Hz version running on 10.1515 LSB to put my
> PSK63 APRS on top of the lower 2100Hz tone.
>
> Getting late and maybe not thinking straight.
> Chris, is the objective for the PSK63 signal to be on top of where the
> lower AX25 tone is on LSB, or the upper tone on USB?

NOI!   NO!  NO!   The PSK carrier *SHOULD NOT* be on EITHER of the two
tones of the "classic" FSK system.  You do not want to interfere with
existing AX25 operations.

The whole intent is to have the PSK-mode activities on a *DIFFERENT*
frequency from the classic FSK AX.25, so that both can proceed
independently.

The objective is to have both modes audible in the receiver passband of
a typical SSB receiver simultaneously (and pass through the same
passband on transmit),  but far enough apart to not interfere with one
another. You should hear them at different AUDIO frequencies that
correspond to different RF frequencies.  The exact audio frequencies
will depend on how you have tuned your SSB receiver (and what sideband
you are using), but they SHOULD BE DIFFERENT.

To be specific, the single PSK frequency is 300 Hz ABOVE the higher FSK
tone (if monitored on USB)  --OR-- 300 Hz BELOW the lower FSK tone (if
monitored on LSB).   As mentioned in a couple of previous posts, the
actual RF frequencies of the two FSK tones are 10.149.200 and 10.149.400
.    The single PSK63 tone is half-way between the upper FSK frequency
and the edge of the 30-meter band at 10.150.000;     i.e. at 10.149.700 .

This is far enough away to not interfere with classic FSK operations,
but close enough to heard in the receiver at the same time.   This
allows you to use two separate receiving systems (TNCs, computer
programs, etc) simultaneously with a single receiver.  "Simultaneously"
doesn't mean "alternately on the same frequency", but truly at the same
time.

Note that if you want to use software receiving techniques for both
modes, you will need TWO SOUND SYSTEMS on the computer -- one for each
program. [Chris's original assumption was that you would use a hardware
device like a KAM TNC on AX25, and the software/sound-card-based device
only for PSK63.]

> If so you always need the frequency version of APRS Messenger that
> matches the frequencies of your AX25 decoder ?

NO    But you do need the one appropriate for the tones you are using to
receive AX25; i.e. 300 Hz away.

Once again........ <note the operative word "alongside" -- NOT "On top of">

For operation alongside standard KAM Tones of 1600/1800 for AX25 FSK APRS:
      Use the 2100 Hz version of APRS Messenger
      and set radio to 10.147.600 MHz USB.

            -or-

      Use the 1300 Hz version of APRS Messenger
      and set radio to 10.151.000 LSB

[Paid-for AGWpe Pro version can also operate with these settings since
it can be
configured for 1600/1800 standard "KAM" packet tones.]

For operation alongside freeware version of AGWpe on AX25 FSK APRS
(audio tones are 2100/2300):
      Use the 1800 Hz version of APRS Messenger
      Set radio to 10.151.500 Mhz LSB.

[ Note that radio may need to be "hacked" to enable "general coverage
transmit" since the dial indicates
that the suppressed-carrier frequency is "out of band" on 30 meters,
even through the resulting RF
frequencies from these tones will be in-band.]

[The FREEWARE version of AGWpe only offfers the 2100/2300 tones.     The
PAY-FOR AGWpe "Pro" version offers the choice of standard 1600/1800 KAM
tones or the original 2100/2300 tones.]

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page: http://wa8lmf.net

NEW!    Universal HF/VHF/UHF Antenna Mounting System
http://wa8lmf.net/mobile/UniversalAntMountSystem.htm

http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths

Updated "Rev H" APRS http://wa8lmf.net/aprs
Symbols Set for UI-View,