[aprssig] N1VG-11 Balloon Fight Over, Details on My Website

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Jun 20 16:00:56 EDT 2010

N1VG-11 balloon has now landed, after crossing over some of the most
extreme mountain terrain in Southern California.  Conveniently, the
constantly-shifting winds aloft brought it down in flat terrain
instead.

Details and screen caps of the flight from UI-View + UI-HeightTrack are
here on my website.:

     <http://wa8lmf.net/N1VG_Balloon_2>

At the last moment, about 2/3rds of the way through the flight, I
suddenly decided to setup and try the obscure UI-View plugin
"Position2NMEA" that can export tracking data to non-APRS mapping
programs.

Pos2NMEA works by simulating a standard NMEA GPS on a virtual COM port,
by taking data from a SINGLE designated station being tracked in
UI-View.     This shows the results plotted in Delorme TopoUSA 8.0.

     <http://wa8lmf.net/N1VG_Balloon_2/N1VG-11_TopoUSA_Track.gif>

[When I saw the balloon heading for the rugged terain of the Tehachapi
Mountains, I was thinking it might come down in really extreme terrain.]

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

NEW!    *** HF APRS over PSK63 ***
   http://wa8lmf.net/APRS_PSK63/index.htm

Universal HF/VHF/UHF Antenna Mounting System
  http://wa8lmf.net/mobile/UniversalAntMountSystem.htm

  http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths