[aprssig] Hamfest and Local info (Welcome beacons)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Jun 17 09:32:41 EDT 2010

> Another idea.... many years ago around 1994
> when I first got an analog cellphone, when I
> drove through Columbia SC my phone rang....
> it was bellsouth... welcoming me...

> What if the digis were smart enough to see
> a mobile entering a boundary for the first
> time (in a week or a month) and send a message
> to that station letting them know about local
> events.

They do!  Or at least that is what I have been asking people to
set up for 6 years now since 2004!

1) The BOUNDARY is established as when you "get in range" of
that digi
2) The INFO you get are the FOUR available BTEXTS or OBJECTS
available for programming in each digi. (Some digis can only do
3)..
  A - the digi's own info and additional info
  B - The locally recommended APRS or travelers voice repeater
  C - The Echolink or other reecommended frequency or IRLP
  D - a third frequency or whatever.

IT'S IN THERE!  We just have too many people blind to the true
value of APRS in ham radio and too lazy to realize that it is
OUR network.  And it will only provide the desired service if we
as individuals provide it and properly set up the digis, and
then also originate objects for local special events.

> As for letting us know about club events or meetings,
> Scott's open tracker's scripting can do this although
> I wish it could be indexed to a given day...  Yes,
> the digi's should publish the local 2m net within
> the beacon, but it sure would be nice in addition to
> have the net as an object every 10 minutes a few
> hours before the net... esp if it caused the radio
> to beep as above.

Yes!  I have a web page that describes that desired application.
I think someone did write an add-on for Uiview that will let you
enter fixed schedules and it will do the alerts.  It might be
called net-meeting, or netscheduler, or something like that?

Bob, WB4APR

www.aprs.org/localinfo.html.

> 	EVERY digi is supposed to be putting out the "locally
> recommended APRS or Traveler voice frequency object already.
> The format for that object includes both weekly NET times and
> MONTHLY Meeting times.  So anyone passing through the area
> will never be more than 10 minutes from an update on this
> info (When he is in range of THAT digi).
>
> 	This has been the proper settings of all digis since
2004.